Friday, September 22, 2006

The final tally

The earth's circumference is roughly 24,901.55 (thank you about.com).

During 100 days in Europe plus a few days extra before and after in the US, I traveled very roughly 21,000 miles. That's pretty cool!

Averaged, that's roughly 210 miles per day. So that's the equivalent of getting into a car every single day and driving on the highway for about 3 hours, for 3 straight months!!

I finally picked a song for my dancing video. I don't know if it's the perfect one but it should give the effect I want. Upbeat, bordering on annoying, and sure to get stuck in your head for days! Not sure if I'll get something put together before the feast but it will certainly come eventually...

A few thank you's in no horribly particular order. Just everyone that comes to the top of my head. 90% of these people will never read this post but I feel like writing it anyway.

Thank you to....

  • My parents, for giving me the best home I could have ever grown up in and for raising me to think big
  • Peter, for being the first person to greet me on my trip, for getting us lost in Bristol and having an awesome time with me climing barbed wire fences and walking through cow pastures to get home, and for becoming one of my best friends in one short week with a very... interesting dorm : )
  • Roberts, for taking the afternoon off to take me and Pete to Bath
  • Winchesters, for adding me to their 4 mile long list of people they've put up for a few days
  • Donald, for taking me to the Tate and a tour or London even though you've done it yourself thousands of times
  • Mel, for taking me to Britain's ultimate medieval experience (Warwick) and then going medieval with me on Britain's best theme park (Alton towers!!), oh and for helping me find a cheap ticket to France! : )
  • Mrs. Harradine, for hosting me when I was unexpectedly homeless in the UK for a few days and for taking me to Oxford to see the world's COOLEST ever natural history museum
  • Steels, for being the coolest young couple ever and the best example on the planet
  • Fritzes, for being great hosts and cooking me many a dinner over the summer, you're no longer just my parent's friends, you're MY friends
  • Gutmanns, for letting me spend a relaxing Sabbath with you and taking me around Wiesbaden
  • Ulmers, for hosting me 2 straight weekends and taking me to the most incredible lake in the middle of nowhere in the black forest with the freshest, cleanest air in the world
  • Zoltan, for taking my application for the summer program and letting me travel pretty much whereever and whenever I wanted
  • Ishtvan, for being the biggest Hungarian born German soccer fan on the planet, and for telling us the story about almost getting punched because of your blue shirt after Italy lost!
  • The Eaton student, for letting me randomly meet you on a platform a hundred meters off the coast of Monaco on a floating platform on a gorgeous day on the French Riviera
  • Sara, for letting me into the tour of the Vienna parliment, biking sooo fast I could hardly keep up, and eating ice cream with me every day I was there : )
  • Alex, for giving me a tour of the world's oldest zoo and letting me feed my first giraffe, that was AWESOME!
  • Angelika, for hosting me even when you were dead tired from incredible shifts at the hospital and for having one of the coolest decorated apartments on earth
  • Elena, for accidentally making me miss the 4:40 to Milan, and the purposefully missing your 5:30 to Pesaro : )
  • Gary, for completely owning Alex in the whole Arsenal-Barcelona debate
  • My campers, for being a great bunch of guys even though you almost killed me and Peter : )
  • Daniel, for being the best first time camper in the history of camp
  • Paolo and Adriana, for being incredibly gracious hosts and inviting me in for coffee, sorry I lost your address, I'd write you otherwise
  • The carful of Swedish guys, for giving me a ride, enjoy the camera case I accidentally left in your trunk
  • Every single person who held my camera for a dancing video and at least pretended to be amused
And thanks to everyone I met, saw, and talked with, for the best three months of my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all of the postings, young Daniel. It was almost like you took us with you to Europe, and it didn't cost us anything! We can hardlyl wait to go again!